These are two very easy soup recipes that I found in a magazine. I decided to include both because they both share several of the same ingredients, which is nice when you're trying to cook on a budget and not waste food. It's really hard for me not to waste fresh produce. Anyway, it's not cold outside so you're all probably not in soupy moods, but here they are... I personally liked the cheese soup the best. The lentil soup is good, but I'm not a huge bean fan... and so I liked it, but I didn't love it. That doesn't mean you won't though! :)
Cheddar Cheese Soup
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 small green pepper, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 extra-large chicken bouillon cube
2 cups milk
1 (8 oz) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1. Melt butter in a 3- qt. sauce-pan over medium high heat; add carrots and next 4 ingredients, and saute 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture, and stir until coated. Stir in bouillon cube, milk, and 3 cups water; cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 11 minutes until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
2. Add shredded cheese and red pepper, stirring until well blended. Serve immediately.
Red Lentil Soup
Ingredients:
2 T butter
1 sweet onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 cups dried lentils
2 extra large chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients, and saute 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, next 5 ingredients, and 5 cups water.
2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in basil just before serving.
Master bedroom makeover: part 1
10 years ago



those sound delicious!!! The lentil soup made me think of Dr. wilcox, of course....it probably will my whole life. haha I've been meaning to make a lentil dish, this may be the one.
ReplyDeleteI meant to write that I put these two soups together because they use similar ingredients. A plus in my book!
DeleteAnd I always will associate lentils with Wacky Zacky. :)