Labels

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Burlap Wreath

I stumbled across a burlap wreath tutorial on I Need More Glitter (also at Tater Tots and Jello) and thought it looked like a fun project.  I think it turned out pretty well, although it took longer than I expected.  I made it as a gift for my friend, Julianne*.  I missed doing something for her birthday (which, embarrassingly, was in July) so I thought this looked like something fun for her and her new apartment!  Julianne is a great, great friend and deserves to receive gifts any time of the year!  :)

Supplies:
Styrofoam wreath shape (I used a 12-inch round styrofoam, but you can use the squared round ones, if that makes any sense! hah!)
Burlap (about 1 yard--or borrow from your art teachin' husband)
Scrap fabric ( the more the better!)
Hot glue gun & glue sticks
Ribbon for hanging
Upholstery tacks (optional--or any other type of tack)

The first thing that you do is to wrap the foam wreath with strips of burlap.  I used white burlap, but you can use brown.  Then, you get your fabric and start making your fabric flowers.  This takes quite a while!  The easiest thing that I found was to work on a flower at a time.  I cut the circles myself without any circle templates so some of them were a little uneven, but it really didn't seem to make much of a difference once I put the flowers together.  The hardest part is gluing the flowers together.  Be careful with the burlap because that hot glue goes right through it onto your fingers!  Ouch!  One wise crafter suggested using a popsicle stick to work with the burlap. 

This picture just shows a close-up of the flowers.  I really need to work on better picture quality.  :)






And here's the finished product!  J wasn't home so I had to try to hold it up by myself, hence the off-centered picture.  hah.  I'm kind of embarrassed by my pictures.  

 Anyway.. I thought it was cute and fairly fun to make!  Pretty messy and time-consuming, though!

*I met Julianne during college orientation.  Almost immediately, we found out that we had so many connections that it was almost weird.  And we hit it off and have been such great friends since.  She's so funny, caring, sweet, and generous!  She really exhibits so many godly characteristics--it's a blessing to have her as a friend, and hilarious how many people think we're related because we look alike! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment