So, for the past few months, I've been working a few days a week as a substitute teacher. A few days, mostly because it's kind of hard to get jobs and even harder after snow days! I thought I would share a little about how that's going. I'm not quite as mean as that teacher in the picture, but there are times when I'm close to that. ha ha. Actually, the first day I subbed was probably one of the worst days of my life. Seriously.
My Facebook status after that day was:
"So I survived my first day of substitute teaching yesterday. Started out being called a sweetheart by one of the boys.. & then, it changed to "you don't like us very much, do you?" With about an hour left in the day, the entire class was in timeout. Ended the day being the target of a paper gun shooting. Took it away & the kid started destroying the room. All in a day's work, I guess."
Anyway, since then, things have been a little easier, give or take a few hard days in there. I'm never going to that classroom or school again--hah!
Oh--and going back to the picture, I do have to use my frownie face a lot. And yell. And with some kids, I just have to "out mean" them. It's not really a desirable strategy, and it makes me feel so sad because I know that these kids must be so mistreated at home. But I just have to do what works for a short time. Oh well. Hopefully, they have regular teachers that can give them the love they need.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine you being mean...I just can't do it. You are the sweetest :) Hang in there, this is a good learning process I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to imagine you yelling! hang in there!
ReplyDelete